Bira Santos is an accomplished percussionist, playing shows both nationally and internationally. His specialty is the instruments of candomblé and samba — atabaque, conga, surdo, and afoxê.
He is also the director and music composer for his band, Afro Mestiço, and organizes and produces shows for a number of artists in the Salvador, Bahia area.
Below is a sample of some of the shows that he has performed in and produced.
Afro Mestiço (Bira’s band)
- Release party for his CD Afro Eléctico. Center for Culture and Arts, Santo Antônio. August 2014.
- A night of African music. Bispo Cultural Center, Pelourinho. July 2012.
- Toca Que Eu Danço e Dança Que Eu Toco. Teatro Gamboa Nova, Rua Gamboa de Cima, 3. April 10, 2010.
- Pôr do Sol. Rua do Passo, 62, Santo Antônio, Escadaria de Geronimo. June 6, 2008.
- Festival for Iemanja. Rio Vermelho, Casa da Dinha do Acarajé. Feb 2, 2004.
- Ilá! Um Canto Ancestral with Emillie Lapa. Teatro SESC-SENAC Pelourinho. Feb 27, 2016. (view clip)
- Ilá! Um Canto Ancestral with Emillie Lapa. Teatro Gamboa Nova, Rua Gamboa de Cima, 3. Sept 20, 2015 and Sept 27, 2015.
- Ritmeloxa with Jochen Eisentraut. Anexo do Teatro XVIII (Casa 14). Sept. 12, 2014.
- Ayabatala with Marie Eve Clermont. Teatro Gamboa Nova. Aug 8, 2013. (view clip)
- Tudo Percussão. Praça Pedro Arcanjo, Pelourinho. August 2011.
- Presenting Grupo Malinke. Teatro Miguel Santana. Dec 14, 2012. (view clip)
- Robin Gorn, Bispo Cultural Center, Salvador. Feb 28, 2009. (view clip)
- Carnaval: Artistic Association and Cultural Diaspora Musical director for a group of percussionists. February 2014.
- Federal University of Bahia (UFBA) – Ondina, School of Dance. May – August 2011.
- Cruise ship reception. Musical director for a series of welcome receptions. July 2011.
- “Na Trilha de Bira“. Teatro Gamboa Nova, Rua Gamboa de Cima, 3. Assistant director. 2008.